I know, I know. Another one of those pesky end-of-the-year lists. You’ve probably already read 1000 of them. But as a lover of lists and perpetual list-maker, I can’t pass up the opportunity to hop on the bandwagon once again this year.
While my 2017 list was a summary of a somewhat low key travel year, I certainly can’t say the same of this year. 2018 was the year I got my first passport stamps. It’s the year I ventured out of North America for the first time. It’s the year I moved back across the country to reclaim my western roots. And it’s the year we spent as many weekends as we could exploring our new home in Colorado.
Since I’m working my way chronologically through past adventures, I still haven’t actually reached 2018 here on Handstands Around the World. Eventually, there will be full posts chronicling all of these adventures. But in the meantime, here are the highlights and a few photos from our wonderful year!
1. Escaping the New England winter for a wonderful few days exploring beautiful Costa Rica (and attending the wedding of one of my good friends)
2. Easter weekend in Washington, DC during the annual Cherry Blossom Festival
3.Visiting the Statue of Liberty
4. Biking along the Rhine River in Germany, from Mainz to Köln
5. Two-night backpack trip along the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina
6. Visiting new places as we drove from Connecticut to Denver
7. Finally checking Hyalite Peak off the bucket list, 11 years after my mom and I promised ourselves we’d climb it one day
8. Spending multiple weekends exploring the rugged beauty of Rocky Mountain National Park
10. Summiting our first Colorado 14er
11. Spending a serene night on the dunes in Great Sand Dunes National Park
12. Seeing 23 moose (Yes, I saw 23 moose in Colorado in the span of 3 months. I’m quite positive I’ve used up my moose quota and won’t see another one now for many years)
Thank you to all of you for reading and commenting and supporting me throughout this year! I love reading about your adventures and being inspired by your stories and learning about places and cultures I’ve yet to visit. This is such a wonderful community to be a part of and I’m so thankful to have found a home here.
Best wishes for an adventurous and prosperous 2019, and Happy New Year!